Both cardio and resistance training build lean body mass and help reduce fat. Did you know that you never lose fat cells? Once those fat cells are full, your body creates more fat cells which are then filled. So get started decreasing the size of your current fat cells and avoid creating new ones! By building lean body mass, your metabolism continues to burn Calories even when you aren’t active.
BENEFITS OF RESISTANCE TRAINING
- Prevents muscle loss that often accompanies the aging process
- Increased metabolic rate, which helps your body burn fuels more efficiently
- Decreased injury risk
- Increased physical capacity to help accomplish daily activities
- Enhanced body composition and physical appearance
BENEFITS OFÂ CARDIOVASCULAR TRAINING
- Decreased clinical symptoms of anxiety, tension and depression
- Reduction in blood pressure
- Increased HDL cholesterol
- Decreased total cholesterol
- Increased aerobic work capacity
- Reduction in glucose-stimulated insulin secretion
- Prevention of Type 2 diabetes
- Increased heart function
- Improves immune system functioning
RED RIBBON RIDE JULY 14-17 2011
I get to clearly see that impact on my metabolism when I do the Red Ribbon Ride, a 4-day, 275-mile bike ride. During the ride, I eat 3 big meals, and I fuel up at each of the rest stops. When I get home after the ride, I still need to eat often for a few days because my body is still burning Calories, and I don’t gain weight. Luckily, the need to eat more lessens as I get back to my usual workout routine. You don’t have to do a big event like that to reach your weight loss goals, but having a goal to work toward really helps keep you motivated!
If you like cycling or want to start cycling, join me and hundreds of other riders and crew members on this four-day, nearly 300 mile bike ride through beautiful southern Minnesota. If you’re interested in learning more about the ride, email me at email@example.com or call me at 651-470-8060.
Whatever you choose to do to get active to help lose weight, have fun doing it!
What cardio intensity do you need to work out at to burn fat? Check my next blog!